Purpose: To change the trends and educate the community about the principles of saving and investing as well as controlled spending and discipline consumerism. To disseminate information on topics that include budgeting, saving, investing, planning for retirement, funding college/university expenses, and managing consumer credit. To encourage home ownership and to support Black-owned businesses and the recycling of Black dollars within our community.
- Financial Planning & Budgeting Workshop
- Recycle Black Dollars Project
- Adopt-A-Black Business
Purpose: To promote and enhance the educational values of youth within the Long Beach community that encourage and support our future leaders of tomorrow.
- The Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy: Catching the Dreams of Tomorrow, Preparing Young Women for the 21st Century: Delta Academy is a program for at-risk aged 11-14 that provides academic enrichment and personal development. The program augments academic enrichment in the areas of math, science, and technology. Young women are engaged in lessons about etiquette and self-esteem. We take pride in preparing our young women for leadership positions in the 21st century. Contact: email@example.com.
- Delta GEMS: Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully: Delta GEMS is an expansion of Delta Academy created for young ladies ages 14-15 to develop the skills they need to succeed in college, careers, and life. Designed around the five program components of Scholarship, Sisterhood, Show Me the Money, Service, and Infinitely Complete, monthly themes have included a welcome to high school session for 9th graders, public speaking, time management, healthy relationships, sex education, and interview skills. These workshops allow for self-reflection, individual growth, accountability, academic excellence, creativity, and leadership. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholarships: Scholarships are awarded to graduating high school seniors attending schools in our service area or who have actively participated in our Delta GEMS program. Graduating seniors must be accepted into a four-year college or university. (CLICK HERE FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION)
- Financial Aid & Scholarship Workshop: Prior to college application deadlines the committee hosts a FREE financial aid and scholarship workshop. Various speakers give presentations on how to apply for financial aid, how to save for college, and where and how to look for scholarships.
International Awareness and Involvement
Purpose: To encourage involvement in international affairs; especially affairs that affect people of the African Diaspora. To educate the community at-large on current and ongoing issues within the international arena.
- Mombassa Sister City Association – founding members
- Support to Haiti and Caribbean Hurricane Relief Fund- $22 Soror/Chapter Challenge for the American Red Cross
- Pen Pal/Cultural Exchang
- Volunteer participation in the Los Angeles Pan-African Film and Art Festival
- Adopt a Child
- Laptop donation
Physical and Mental Health
Purpose: To provide a plethora of resources to the Long Beach community on physical and mental health issues. The committee’s primary focus is educating and empowering people through activities and events. This includes monetary donations, personal testimonies, putting on workshops, and active hands on participation.
- ADACE – Alcohol, Drug Abuse, AIDS Awareness, Community Education Workshop
Political Awareness and Involvement
Purpose: To keep the Long Beach area informed of current political and social issues on the local, state, and national levels.
- Voter Education and Registration Drives: Realizing the impact one person’s vote can have, the chapter registers Long Beach area citizens to vote and mobilizes registered voters to participate in elections.
- Forums and Panels: In an effort to keep the local community aware of pertinent political issues that may impact the Long Beach area, the chapter sponsors public forums and panels.
- Delta Days at the General Assembly: Chapter members travel to Sacramento and Los Angeles to observe the active political process and meet with political members that represent the service area.
- Local & State Government Letter-Writing Campaigns
Arts & Letters
Purpose: This committee acts as a clearinghouse for music, literary, and artistic events in Long Beach and surrounding communities. Several events and projects are held throughout the year that enrich and enlighten members of the chapter and the community of Blacks in the arts. Programs:
- Shop Talk
- Theater Nights
- Black Author Tours and Book Signings
- Delta Academy & GEMS Book Circle
For more information about our programs and activities please contact us at email@example.com.